Oatly has an unusual and rather “in your face” attitude to marketing putting itself at…Read More »
The Dairy Industry
So many people remain in the dark about how their milk arrives so as to be added to their cup of coffee. It’s just a gift from the cows to us. That’s alright, isn’t it? Well, nothing could be further from the truth. When you learn of the reality of the way in which cows are treated you can never unlearn it. The bottom line is: cows’ milk is for baby cows, little calves. It is not meant in the natural order of things for humans.
In today’s industrial farms cows are forcibly inseminated, typically artificially.
Can you as a mother imagine it if your little darling baby was taken away from you, for good, within 24 hours of birth? Come to think of it, can you as a new father imagine it? But this is exactly what happens to female cows who experience tremendous pain and suffering as a result. The baby calves have no mother to nurture them and they cry incessantly.
The mother cow will endure this suffering several times before she is considered “spent”.
Here are a few of our news stories about the vegan dairy-free perspective:
- Wagamama claims to have created the world’s first vegan egg;
- vegans get upset about cakes containing dairy, so many were delighted at the news that Mr Kipling is launching vegan cakes;
- a leadng Scottish farmer has urged dairy farmers to embrace plant-based milk;
- the dairy industry in America’s dairyland, Wisconsin, want consumers to know that “vegan butter” is not “real butter”;
- Silicon Valley’s Perfect Day has unveiled the “perfect” ice-cream;
- the huge increase in consumers’ purchases of plant-based milk and meat;
- the expansion of Just Eggs into retail stores across the USA;
- the fightback of the dairy lobby against the rise of veganism;
- Myoko’s Creamery, the vegan cheesemaker, wants to partner with a Californian dairy-farm to help it transition to plant-based agriculture;
- America’s largest milk producer, Dean Foods, files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy;
- the launch of Surge’s Dismantle Dairy campaign with a video of undercover footage shot over 18 months at UK farms;
- Oatley‘s massive pro-vegan billboard campaign as it gives away free ice-cream to railway commuters;
- the mental health of Wisconsin’s struggling dairy farmers has become a political issue;
- the second video released by Surge’s Dismantle Dairy campaign with its response to dairy farmers’ fury.