The profits of dairy farmers in Britain have declined by 50% in the past year, according to Farming UK.
As cow’s milk increasingly goes out of favour, people are turning to plant-based milk. One-quarter of British people are now estimated to drink plant-based milk. Dairy farmers in the UK who are leaving the industry at a rate of about one a week. They have opportunities to embrace the new plant-based milk trend.
This trend is reflected internationally. The Washington based Good Food Institute estimates the plant-based milk market to be worth $1.86 billion in the USA alone. The sales of oat milk alone grew 222% in the past year.
The horrors of the dairy industry are unknown to most, hidden as they are behind closed doors. But this is changing as we become increasingly aware of the practices of the dairy industry that are every bit as brutal as the slaughter of animals to put a beefsteak or a hamburger on the plate of “non-vegetarians”.
The statistics showing the decline, and impending bankruptcy, of the beef and dairy industries, do reflect greater compassion for creatures in society, especially among young adults and children.
A Vegan Diet shows Compassion for Animals, Birds and Fish
The issue of diet easily gets excluded from such conversations. People fear to sound judgemental if they wish to discuss a plant-based diet with a meat-eater. Diet remains essential to daily life and needs to be part of the daily life conversation.
If animals, birds and fish could speak, they would want to remind us of their suffering in factory farms, cramped living conditions and cruel deaths in the abattoir.
Here are 18 reminders on Compassion for Creatures and Wise Use of Land
- If we eat a plant-based diet, we show our compassion for creatures with a face – animals, birds and fish.
- Creatures killed for consumption experience fear, terror and pain in factory farms, trucks and crates used for transport of animals and birds.
- Creatures experience fear waiting to be killed in the abattoir.
- UN estimates that more than four billion animals worldwide monthly are killed every year. The USA slaughters 20% of these animals. Animal and birds are killed for consumption and animal experiments.
- Animals die due to loss of habitat, fur trade, hunting, shooting and sport.
- The seas are plundered worldwide killing billions of whales, sharks, dolphins, sea fish, river fish, fish farms, lobsters, crab etc. Mammals and fish also die due to recreational sport, pollution, oil spills, etc.
- If the plants used to feed farm animals fed human beings instead, it would put an end to hunger in the world.
- Poor nations in Africa export grain to the West to feed farm animals.
- Land used for grain will feed 12 times as many people as the same amount of land used for grazing for farm animals.
- Many countries feed growth hormones to certain farm animals such as calves and cows. These hormones can also make their way into the food chain for humans at the dinner table at home and in restaurants. Mixed with grain, crushed male chickens, who cannot lay eggs, crushed meat and bone products have been used to feed cows.
- Farm animals are vegetarian.
- Cows get separated from a newborn calf to prevent the cow from milking its baby. Cow and calf experience emotional pain.
- Vegetarians and vegans generally live healthier and longer lives, weigh less, with much less possibility of obesity, heart attacks and various kinds of ill health due to poor diet.
- With massive destruction of wildlife, half of the world’s rainforest has been destroyed to clear ground especially to graze cattle to make beef burgers.
- 90% of the soy grown on former rainforest land is used to feed animals. The burning of the forests causes up to 20% of all greenhouse gases that contribute to climate change.
- It takes 2,500 gallons of water to produce one pound of meat.
- Protein is present in rice, soya, hummus, tofu, almonds, wholegrain, spirulina, tahini, bean sprouts, peanut butter, etc. Much protein in meat is lost in the lengthy cooking process.
- Farm animals experience the same kind of sensitivities as babies and very small children
May all beings live in peace and harmony.